Dermovate Scalp Application
Dermovate scalp application contains the active ingredient clobetasol propionate, which is a type of medicine called a topical corticosteroid.Corticosteroids are medicines used for reducing inflammation. Inflammation of the skin happens due to irritation of the skin, and is caused by the release of various substances that are important in the immune system. These substances cause blood vessels to widen, resulting in the irritated area becoming red, swollen, itchy and painful, such as is seen in dermatitis or eczema.
* Eczema affecting the scalp.
* Psoriasis affecting the scalp.
When clobetasol is applied to the skin it works by acting inside the skin cells to decrease the release of these inflammatory substances. This reduces swelling, redness and itching.
There is a range of potencies of corticosteroids applied to the skin. Clobetasol propionate is classed as a very potent corticosteroid. It is prescribed to treat severe inflammatory skin disorders such as eczema and psoriasis that have not responded to weaker corticosteroids.
Dermovate scalp application is thinner and easier to apply to the scalp than Dermovate ointment and cream. It is used to treat severe inflammatory disorders of the scalp.
How do I use Dermovate scalp application?
- The liquid should be applied sparingly to the areas of the scalp that need treating using the nozzle of the bottle. You can rub the liquid into your scalp if you wish, but then leave it to dry. The clobetasol will be left on the scalp – it should not be washed off. If you need to wash your hair you should wash and dry your hair before applying the scalp application.
- Take care to avoid the scalp application running onto the face or into the eyes. Rinse with cold water if accidental contact occurs. Avoid applying it to broken skin.
- Wash your hands after applying the scalp application to avoid accidentally transferring it to other areas.
- The scalp application is usually applied once or twice a day. As soon as the condition starts to improve, you should use it less frequently, as directed by your doctor.
- If there is no improvement in your scalp after two to four weeks of treatment you should consult your doctor.
- Repeat courses maybe necessary to control flare-ups of psoriasis or eczema, but should only be started on the advice of your doctor.
Important information about Dermovate scalp application
- Dermovate scalp application contains flammable alcohol. Do not use it near naked flames or lit objects, such as gas and electric fires and lit cigarettes, or near other sources of heat such as hairdryers.
- This medicine is for external use on the scalp only. It must not be used on the face or any other part of the body apart from the scalp. Apply the liquid thinly to the affected areas of the scalp.
- If corticosteroids are used long-term, on large areas of skin, raw or broken skin, or under airtight dressings they are absorbed into the body more. This increases the risk of local side effects such as skin thinning, and those on other parts of the body, such as a decrease in the production of natural hormones by the adrenal glands. For this reason, continuous, long-term use of this medicine should be avoided wherever possible, particularly in children and on large areas of skin. You should only cover the affected area if instructed by your doctor. If you find you still need to use this medicine after two to four weeks because your skin has not improved you should consult your doctor. If this medicine is used to treat a child it should not usually be used for longer than five to seven days.
- If you think the area of skin you are treating has become infected you should stop using this medicine and consult your doctor.
Find other products for your skin disease (inflamation, psoriasis, eczema, etc ..) here : Best products for skin desease
Dermovate scalp application should be used with caution in
- Psoriasis. If you have been prescribed this medicine to treat psoriasis you should have regular check-ups with your doctor. This is because although corticosteroids may be useful for psoriasis in the short-term, they can sometimes make psoriasis worse, and may cause the condition to relapse into generalised pustular psoriasis after the treatment is stopped.
Dermovate scalp application should not be used in
- Children under one year of age.
- Skin infected with viruses (eg chickenpox, shingles), fungi (eg ringworm) or bacteria (eg impetigo).
This medicine should not be used if you are allergic to one or any of its ingredients. Please inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have previously experienced such an allergy. If you feel you have experienced an allergic reaction, stop using this medicine and inform your doctor or pharmacist immediately.